We know that difficulty is part of the plan from God. If you would think back on what happened and what you have gained from it, and the corresponding conditions to make that happen, you will be amazed at the wisdom of God and understand God’s plan in a profound way. You can see the things that happen should all interact together and benefit each other, unfortunately not many of us realize that and let the things happen according to God’s plan but would rather tangle things up in our own way. I hope we all learn from these experiences.
What is the purpose of God bringing us to the wilderness before bringing us to Canaan (eternal life, the land of everlasting richness)? The whole purpose is to know Him, to understand how we have been created and the spiritual abundance He gives to mankind, to feel His Love, and to praise Him and love Him back. Then why do these things have to happen in the wilderness? While we live comfortably, carnal desires tend to dominate our mind. We satisfy ourselves in comfort and pay no attention to God’s existence. By bringing us to the wilderness to recognize our own weakness, inability, poverty, and the need for love. So the wilderness is the place to “meet with” God, to feel the love from God, to see the glories of God, to learn to rely on God and walk the path with Him, and have deeper trust and stronger faith in Him.
Therefore, behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak comfortably unto her. (Hosea 2:14)
Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert. （Isaiah 43:19 ）
What are the situations in our life called “wilderness”? Here are some examples:
- Difficult living conditions, struggle for basic survival.
- Discomfort or difficulty with the physical body, sickness or disability.
- Lack of support, where we are in difficulty with no one around to help.
- A situation where no one understands, being judged, slandered, misunderstood.
- Difficult financial situation.
- Prayers have not been answered
- Asking for guidance from God, but the guidance seems unclear or confusing.
- Earnestly serving God, but see no result or things don’t happen as expected.
- Intentionally fasting to weaken our carnal desires and turn attention towards God
Let’s take a break here and meditated on the conditions in our life like these. Instead of thinking how hurtful it was, let’s think what we gain or benefit from it. I hope this process will help you put down the fear, discomfort, hurtful feelings and move forward in life.