Title: Mind and Heart 意識心與真心
Question Discussed: What is the difference between heart and mind? How can we tell the difference?
探討問題: 真心與意識心有什麼不同? 我們可以分辨嗎?
As for the mind, it is the power of the human spirit. The spirit is as the lamp, and the mind as the light that shines from it. The spirit is as the tree, and the mind as the fruit. The mind is the perfection of the spirit and a necessary attribute thereof, even as the rays of the sun are an essential requirement of the sun itself. (‘Abdu’l-Bahá, Some Answered Questions, 55)
That the heart is the throne, in which the Revelation of God the All-Merciful is centered. … How often hath the human heart, which is the recipient of the light of God and the seat of the revelation of the All-Merciful, erred from Him Who is the Source of that light and the Well Spring of that revelation. (Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh 93)
When man allows the spirit, through his soul, to enlighten his understanding, then does he contain all Creation. …
When man does not open his mind and heart to the blessing of the spirit, but turns his soul towards the material side, towards the bodily part of his nature, then is he fallen from his high place and he becomes inferior to the inhabitants of the lower animal kingdom. …If, on the contrary, the spiritual nature of the soul has been so strengthened that it holds the material side in subjection, then does the man approach the Divine; his humanity becomes so glorified that the virtues of the Celestial Assembly are manifested in him; he radiates the Mercy of God, he stimulates the spiritual progress of mankind, for he becomes a lamp to show light on their path. (‘Abdu’l-Bahá, Paris Talks 31)
What is the dust which obscures the mirror? It is attachment to the world, avarice, envy, love of luxury and comfort, haughtiness and self-desire; this is the dust which prevents reflection of the rays of the Sun of Reality in the mirror. The natural emotions are blameworthy and are like rust which deprives the heart of the bounties of God. ……There is a power which purifies the mirror from dust and transforms its reflection into intense brilliancy and radiance so that spiritual susceptibilities may chasten the hearts and heavenly bestowals sanctify them. Which is sincerity, justice, humility, severance, and love for the believers of God. These will purify the mirror and make it radiant with reflected rays from the Sun of Truth. (‘Abdu’l-Bahá)
蒙住心靈之鏡的塵埃是什麼呢？是對塵世的依戀、貪婪、嫉妒、愛慕奢華舒適、傲慢和私慾。這些便是阻礙“實質之陽” 映照在心靈之鏡中的塵埃。這些自然的情感是應受譴責的，它們就像鏽斑一樣，剝奪了人心獲得神恩的福分。……然而有一種力量可為心靈之鏡洗去塵埃，把它的映像變得光輝璀璨，以便靈性的情感能夠淨化人心，天國的賜福能夠聖潔心靈。那就是真誠、公正、謙卑、超脫以及對歸信上帝者的關愛等靈性的情感，它們能將心靈之鏡淨化，並讓它璀璨地反射出“真理之陽”的光芒。 (阿博都巴哈)
For hatred does not cease by hatred at any time: hatred ceases by love, this is an old rule. (Dhammapada 1:5)
無論到何時，恨不能止恨。唯愛能止恨，此為亙古法。 (法句經 1: 5)
Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. (Matthew 22:37)
你要盡心、 盡性、 盡意愛主─ 你的神。 這是誡命中的第一， 且是最大的。(馬可福音22:37)
All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him, as the wheel follows the foot of the ox that draws the carriage.
All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him. (Dhammapada 1:1-2)
(法句經 1 : 1-2)
* What is in our mind is the reflection of the condition of the rational soul. By observing our mind it can help us become aware of the condition of our soul, whether turned toward the world or to the Kingdom of God.
* The heart is an instrument for reflection. Reality can be reflected through the heart and be seen.
* Heart is a mirror that can be oriented in a particular direction. Our mind can be oriented in a particular direction also, either to the world or the world to come (Kingdom of God).
* It is not easy to stop hatred and to love. So God tells us we need to live with all our heart, soul and mind to find His love and make things happen.
* The reflection of God’s light is from our heart, our mind analyzes things and gives them meaning. The Buddha said the Dharma can’t be told, Dharma is in the heart, reflected through heart. The Dharma that is spoken is for a particular person to hear, in a way that is meaningful to that person.
* If our heart is a mirror that reflects reality, then what is in our mind?
* Can we tell if our emotion is from our heart or mind? Can we change how we feel in our heart through our mind?
Inner observation 內觀:
* Observe what is in our mind, and what reflects in our heart. Is it the attachment of the world? Avarice, envy, self-desire? Or it is sincerity, justice, humility, severance, and love?
觀照我們的心念是什麼?這是現在心的映射嗎?那是對塵世的執著嗎? 貪婪、嫉妒、私欲? 還是它是真誠、公正、謙卑、超脫、愛呢?
* The heart is like a body of water, it can reflect. The mind is like the waves on the surface of a water body. Waves distort the reflection. So we can observe our heart and see if it is calm. Also we can observe our mind and see if it is surging like waves.